Sunday, April 05, 2009

The View From Up Here...

Of COURSE I went up on the scaffolding at the farm. It's just a ladder, and that's MY home we're working on, and I hadn't yet seen the roof or a close-up of the corbel detailing - so, I hollered up to the brick masons and asked if I might come aboard. Their shocked silence, followed by barely stifled laughter was not reassuring.
THREE of them rushed to hold the bottom of the ladder (note that THEY ascend the ladder with NO ONE holding it)and I fervently prayed that I would not do something really really stupid like, oh, slip off said ladder and crash into the sodden earth in front of them. Not because I was afraid of fractured ribs, or possibly death, no,no, but because I was afraid of the profound potential of pure humiliation. I gripped those ladder rungs like a crack-addled monkey climbing to heaven.

And was rewarded with quite a lovely view.
Also, pictures of my rusted-out roof. And collapsing chimneys. And deteriorating corbels.
And I wanted to share them with you.
See?




No comments: